WATER KEFIR STARTER KIT
If you have been looking to culture your own Water Kefir, but aren’t sure how to go about it, this Starter Kit is for you. It contains all the equipment and instructions you need to get started culturing delicious probiotic goodness in the comfort of your home. Water kefir grains contain no actual “grains” such as wheat or rye. You can use it to make sugar water, juice, or coconut water. The taste varies greatly depending on the sugar used and the culturing time.
- DIY water kefir kit
- A fermented drink rich in probiotics
- Dairy-free alternative to milk kefir
- Has a pleasant light soda-like taste
- Source of calcium, protein, potassium & other essential nutrients
- Boosts immunity
- Improves digestion
- Promotes healthy bone density
- Combats candida & promotes healthy bacterial balance in the gut
- Anti-inflammatory benefits
- Natural antibiotic & antifungal properties
- Can be added to smoothies, desserts, oatmeal & salads
Directions for activating your Water Kefir starter kit for initial usage:
- Into a glass container (Glass bottle with lid) mix together 500ml at 25 degrees C of un-chlorinated soft water with 50g of either Illovo Treacle Sugar, Organic Cane Sugar, or fresh fruit juice. Stir until all the Sugar has dissolved. Do not use White Sugar.
- Add all the Water Kefir grains to the slightly heated sugar water.
- Stir the mix well with the wooden spoon provided. Cover the bottle with a cheesecloth or paper towel secured by a rubber band.
- Place in a warm spot, 22 to 25 degrees C for 24 hours.
- Strain out the Water Kefir grains using the cotton milk cloth supplied (Do not use a metal spoon or metal sieve) and place on a fresh batch of Sugar water solution. (Discard this sugar water solution)
- Repeat steps 2-4 every 24 hours until the grains are activated. Activation may take 5 -10 days. Your grains are activated and are culturing successfully. Once you notice that the sugar solution smells a bit yeasty and the taste is flat and less sweet than the initial solution.
Once your grains are activated you are ready to make water Kefir.
- Transfer the Water Kefir grains into a glass bottle and add 500ml of sugar solution.
- Place in a warm spot at 20 -25 degrees C to culture for 24 hours.
- Drain the grains and keep on the side for your next batch or cover with a cup full of sugar solution.
- Cover the bottle with the lid tightly so that an airlock is achieved.
- Place in a warm spot at 20 – 25 Degrees C to culture for 24hours.
- After 12 hours we recommend, “burping” the glass bottle with lid to release excess pressure.
- The finished Fizzy water is now ready to do the following with:
Add flavouring to the fizzy kefir water or add fruit – cranberries, ginger, lemon juice or berry juice concentrate work beautifully. Refrigerate and consume.
The sky is the limit when it comes to flavouring options. Make sure that your grains are removed before you start to experiment so as not to contaminate your water Kefir grains.
Storage of your Water Kefir grains when you are not using them.
- Up to 3 weeks.
- Add your Water Kefir grains to 500ml of soft un-chlorinated water and dissolve in 50g of Sugar.
- Shelf life of the Hydrated Water Kefir grains is 60 months from the manufactured date, or longer when stored in a freezer.
Water Kefir Starter Kit contains:
- Milk cloth sieve and wooden stirrer.
- 1.5 grams dehydrated water kefir grains.
- Instruction manual.